Spa and Pool Filter Guide
Filtration is one of the most important aspects of a pool or spa to keep it clean and sparkling. Without filtration, your pool or spa water would become cloudy no matter how many chemicals were added. It’s important to keep your spa and pool filters clean and in good condition to ensure the maximum filtration of your water.
HotSpring spas have a 100% No Bypass Filtration System-the best possible filtration you can get in a portable hot tub. Watkins manufactures its own filters so you’re always getting the right filter size for your spa. There are two types of filters available for HotSpring Spas-Tri-X and Reemay paper filters.
- Lifespan: 5-8 years
- To Rinse: Can be run through a dishwasher (no soap or heat) or rinsed with a high pressure water hose
- To Clean: Tri-X filters should be run through a dishwasher or rinsed by hose every time the spa is drained and cleaned.
- 1-2 times a year they should be cleaned with a Filter Cleaning Spray or Degreaser.
Reemay Paper Filter
- Lifespan: 2-3 years
- To Rinse: Use a high pressure water hose to rinse
- To Clean: Use a Filter Cleaner Spray or Degreaser everytime the spa is drained and cleaned
We carry Pleatco brand filters for spas not manufactured by Watkins. If you know your hot tub’s Manufacturer and Model, we can use the Pleatco Manufacture Guide to find the filter right for your spa. If you do not have this information, follow this guide to measure your filter:
- Measure the diameter of the end cap
- Measure the diameter of the core
- Measure the legnth of the filter
- Make notes if the filter has special aspects (handle, threaded end, closed end cap)
Pool filters come in a variety of kinds and sizes. The basics are Diatameceous Earth (DE), Sand, and Cartridge. Talk with your pool representative to decide which method is best for your pool. We carry most replacement fins/fingers for DE pools, as well as pool sand. Cartridges can be ordered.
Grids or Fingers
DE powder coates the media and can remove particles as small as 3-5 microns in size.
Clean by backwashing or by removing the media and using a Filter Cleaning Spray or Degreaser
Media typically lasts 3-5 years. If a grid or finger tears it must be replaced
Sand is filter media
Water is filtered through the sand and can remove particles as small as 10-15 microns in size.
Clean by backwashing
Sand will need to be replaced every 5-8 years
A Reemay cartridge is used
Water is filtered through the cartridges and can remove particles as small as 25-40 microns in size
Clean by using a Filter Cleaning Spray or Degreaser
Cartridges last about 2-3 years